The Executive Director (E.D.) is accountable to the Board of Directors and needs the capacity to think strategically, convert that thinking into action, and communicate in a way that secures the enthusiastic support for our mission from an array of stakeholders.
The E.D. will need to demonstrate a proven capacity to identify, develop and pursue new funding opportunities; act as the principal steward of the organization’s resources; and cultivate a high-performing team of staff and volunteers. S/he will oversee the annual operating budget and serve as the voice of the organization.
Fundraising and Communication
• Work with the Development Coordinator to set the organization’s overall strategic fund development strategy.
• Create a culture of philanthropy within the organization and engage the Board of Directors when needed and appropriate.
• Works with the Development Coordinator and Board of Directors to formulate donor appeal strategies; cultivate, solicit, close, and steward foundation, corporate, and individual funders to diversify and deepen revenue opportunities.
• Provide general oversight of a stewardship program designed and implemented by the Development Coordinator that will maintain a positive relationship between the organization and its major/individual donors, tailored to the type of donor.
Organizational Leadership and Board Governance
• Serve as a decisive, credible, and motivating leader in the community capable of attracting, retaining, and developing top-notch, diverse talent to help achieve the organization’s mission and purpose.
• Maintain a collaborative work environment that fosters excellent customer service and a passionate commitment to the individuals, families, and communities served by the program.
• Support an open and healthy culture of teamwork, continuous improvement and mutual respect.
• Work effectively and efficiently with the Board of Directors, fostering solid relationships to help develop and support board members to become effective advisors, champions, and leadership donors to support Hope Harbor. Keep them fully informed and engaged regarding the status and activities of the organization.
• Serve as the primary spokesperson for the organization, representing Hope Harbor at community events. Establish positive relationships with community leaders. Seek advantageous partnerships with community businesses, vendors, and individuals.
• Effectively articulate the mission, vision, programs, and point of view of Hope Harbor. Help generate increased awareness and understanding of program issues and of Hope Harbor by establishing and managing strategic communications strategies.
Operations & Financial Management
• Work to ensure the staff team operates with excellence and delivers high quality efficiency, effectiveness, and customer service.
• Participate in development of annual budget and strategic plan with the Board of Directors. Is responsible for meeting assigned budget and strategic goals. Provide regular updates/reports to the Board of Directors. Attend and actively participate with the Board of Directors meetings to provide ongoing recommendations and communication for mission achievement.
• Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations and reporting requirements. Complete data tracking requirements for funding and fulfilling all data entry and reporting to ensure ongoing funding.
• Nonprofit leadership experience,
• Post-secondary education or experience in human/social services, or equivalent experience
• Active and proven comprehensive fundraising experience; an ability to create a culture of philanthropy and an understanding of nonprofit fund development strategies and the importance of donor relations.
• Demonstrated ability to garner support from individual, corporate, and foundation donors, including familiarity with researching grant opportunities and proposal writing.
• A proven track record of developing strong individual donor relationships which result in major gifts; including the willingness to get out of the office to meet prospective donors and establish effective communications with them.
• Superior presentation skills; the presence to deal effectively with donors and multi-cultural staff and volunteers.
• Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors; proven ability to develop strong collaborative working relationships.
• A history of achieving/exceeding goals, improving bottom line performance and growing the organizations under his/her responsibility.
• Excellent leadership skills, personal integrity, strong work ethic, problem-solving attitude, and excellent judgment; ability to act independently to identify and analyze problems and recommend solutions.
• Strong verbal and written skills and the ability to effectively communicate excitement about Hope Harbor’s mission of lifting those in need to lives of sustainable self-sufficiency.
• Strong organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation.
• Extensive personnel management experience; willingness to actively engage with and motivate a team environment between staff and volunteers; a commitment to helping others reach their full potential.
The compensation range for this individual will be competitive and in accordance with the background and experience of the selected candidate.